studies education provides learners with the knowledge, skills, and
perspectives needed to become active, informed citizens and contributing
members of local, state, national, and global communities in the
An education in social studies fosters a population that:
- Is civic minded, globally aware, and socially responsible.
- Exemplifies fundamental values of American citizenship through active participation in local and global communities.
- Makes informed decisions about local, state, national, and global events based on inquiry and analysis.
- Considers multiple perspectives, values diversity, and promotes cultural understanding.
- Recognizes the implications of an interconnected global economy.
- Appreciates the global dynamics between people, places, and resources.
emerging technologies to communicate and collaborate on career and
personal matters with citizens of other world regions.
Source: New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards (2009)