Bureau of Fire Safety performs the following functions in order to
provide and maintain an adequate level of fire prevention and
- Inspect structures for compliance with the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code
- Investigate violations of the fire code
- Investigate all complaints under the fire code
- Investigate fires and explosions
- Coordinate activities between local and state agencies
- Coordinate projects with the Fire Subcode Official
- Issue required permits
- Refer appeals to the Construction Board of Appeals
- Review all requests for variances.
- Inspects and issues certificate of smoke detector compliance (CSDC)
- Conducts public fire education programs
- Responds to emergency calls
- Adopt a hydrant information - see attachments
Adopt a Hydrant
Hillsborough Township Bureau of Fire Safety has created a new program
that will give citizens the chance to help the Fire Department. The
Adopt a Hydrant program was created to help keep our fire hydrants clear
and available. Citizens and civic groups (Boy Scouts, etc.) can "adopt"
a hydrant or hydrants in their neighborhood.
people who adopt hydrants will help the Fire Department by keeping them
clear of snow in the winter and overgrowth in the summer, as well as
reporting blocked or damaged hydrants year round. Information packages
are available through the Hillsborough Township Bureau of Fire Safety at
369-4313 ext. 178.
Adopt a Hydrant Information and Guidelines
- Keep hydrants free of snow and ice.
- Keep hydrants free of overgrowth (grass and weeds).
- Report any damaged or leaking hydrants to the Bureau of Fire Safety 369-4313.
- Report any vehicles blocking hydrants to the Hillsborough Police 369-4323.
- Paint hydrants
- Alter or attempt to repair hydrants
- Mark curb or street
NJ American Water Company is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of our fire hydrants.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.